Project & Development Services - Director, Project & Development Services
Steeped in legacy and driven by progress, Canderel has been part of Canada’s real estate landscape for over 40 years. In fact, our 400 real estate professionals have handled over $15 billion in acquisitions, developments and management projects. That translates to over 60 million square feet of owned, managed and developed properties.
Reports to: Vice-President, Project & Development Services
We are seeking a a cross-functional leader as Director, Project & Development Services (PDS) to join a highly dynamic team. Responsible for management of residential PDS team, and oversight of project planning and execution of mixed-use developments following successful acquisition of site/project.
- Direct management of project managers within the GTA residential portfolio;
- Overall project management of the residential/ mixed use project including management of the General Contractor/ Construction Manager, subcontractors, planners, engineers, architects, and other consultants;
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders such as the marketing department for preparation of sales launch; the investment group; leasing and executives;
- Set up project documentation for project launch (Property Management/Operations);
- Manage design, construction, and budget risks including creation of a risk mitigation strategy;
- Comply with all legal authorities having jurisdiction to secure all legal paperwork including SPA, building permits;
- Oversee the condominium registration process including liaising with various stakeholders including lawyers, surveyors, planners, and municipal authorities;
- Hold and chair regular project progress meetings (internal and external) during the design development phase and during construction;
- Produce regular reports and updates for project stakeholders;
- Review tender packages and contract documents as necessary; lead negotiations with trade contractors and consultants;
- Manage overall project closeout including document maintenance, deficiencies, and warranty work;
- Manage the administration of the Technical Audit obligations and Warranty issues; Other duties as required;
- Monitor political and other related policy changes in targeted Municipalities/Regions of focus to keep track of key changes that may impact the project(s) and the company’s business plan;
- Initiate and maintain relationships with key Councillors and some other City staff;
- Joint with Director of Development- Soliciting proposals from and negotiating contracts with a broad range of multi- disciplinary consultant teams. (Lead – dependent on consultant);
- Joint with Investments- Create development project overviews, schedules, budgets, project timelines/costs;
- Joint with Investments and marketing– Contribute to the overall direction of the project: maximize density, design direction, materiality, etc.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ relevant experience in management of residential development projects (asset: multi-family);
- Experience of managing an internal team and external stakeholders;
- Must have excellent communication skills, both in written and verbal. Be able to clearly articulate and convey concepts, ideas, and issues to team and management;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills with proven ability to coordinate cross-functional and remote teams;
- Must have strategic, “big picture” approach yet be able to get into details when necessary;
- Must have good business acumen and passion for real estate development;
- Be able to embrace innovation, think ‘outside the box’ and be solutions-oriented;
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, planning, construction management or equivalent experience; MBA or similar will be an asset;
- Project Management professional designation considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability or aptitude analyzing drawings for site, building, and suite plans;
- Excellent comprehension of building drawings, codes, and site specifications;
- Refined analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Resilient to thrive under stress and pressure to meet deadlines.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Family Project & Development Services
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada