Senior Editor, Kids Can Press - Editorial
Division: Kids Can Press
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Toronto, ON
About the Role:
Are you passionate about children’s books? Do you thrive when you’re brainstorming and collaborating with a highly creative team? Kids Can Press Ltd., a leading Canadian publisher of books for children and a subsidiary of Corus Entertainment Inc., has an exciting opportunity within the Editorial department at our Toronto location. Reporting to the Editorial Development Director, the successful candidate will be a self-motivated
collaborator with a positive attitude, and will be responsible for developing, editing and project managing a variety of titles to support the creative, strategic and financial goals of the company.
Kids Can Press values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
- editing and project management at all stages of book production (approximately 10 titles per fiscal year);
- act as primary creator contact for projects, developing relationships with creators and agents and working closely with them to nurture talent and attract new and future creators;
- acquisitions and project development;
- curriculum research and market research for proposed projects;
- illustrator selection;
- meet with department leads to ensure overall project cohesiveness as it pertains to Design, Production, Finance, Rights, Sales and Marketing.
What We’re Looking For:
- a passionate editor with deep knowledge of children’s publishing industry and children’s literature across formats and genres, and strong ideas about the new books they want to see in the world;
- a demonstrated ability and success in acquiring and originating projects, including developing new concepts and series, in working with established creators and in spotting and developing distinctive new talent;
- a creative and innovative thinker with strong problem-solving skills;
- connections to communities of writers, and/or ways to introduce yourself to potential writers;
- negotiation and diplomacy skills, in dealing with both internal and external contacts.
- a strong advocate for the writers, illustrators, all the people (staff, freelancers) that work on the books, and our audiences;
- a university degree and ideally a minimum of eight years’ relevant editorial experience, including acquisitions and substantive editing across genres such as picture books; nonfiction; graphic novels; and fiction;
- excellent written and verbal communications skills with a strong eye for detail and accuracy and solid research skills;
- ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- flexibility and have a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' and please include your resume, cover letter and a list of select edited projects in your application.
Application deadline: 15 January 2021.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Toronto, ON, Canada