Senior Book Designer
Kids Can Press Ltd.
A Corus Entertainment Company
About the Role:
Are you a creative and imaginative person with an exceptional understanding of what is required to design and produce quality children’s books? Kids Can Press Ltd., a subsidiary of Corus Entertainment Inc. and a leading Canadian publisher of books for children, has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Book Designer in our Toronto location. Reporting to the Art Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for book design and art direction, as well as reprints, special sales and format conversions, prepress document preflight, the creation of press-ready PDFs as well as digital asset management.
Kids Can Press values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
- Establish creative book design and art direction for books, reprints, conversions and special projects, from concept through completion including, co-ordination of all approval stages, final preflight, the creation of press-ready PDFs and checking final proofs from the printer.
- Source and develop new and diverse illustration and design talent.
- Focus on large-scale non-fiction projects that require advanced project management skills related to time management and working with freelance editors, designers and illustrators.
- Art direct illustration roughs, linears and final art through to completion.
- Work with Editorial on developing creative project strategy.
- Coordinate and communicate design and illustration comments in-house and for various freelance illustrators.
- Track design and illustration schedules to help facilitate the timely completion of each title.
- Prepare completed design projects for print production by providing all digital InDesign files in accordance with our prepress procedures — preparing templates, positioning text and images, creating cover mechanical documents to exacting measurements, making text and positioning changes and corrections that have been indicated during the circulation process, and using Photoshop and Illustrator to manipulate digital images.
- Prepress responsibilities including preflight and check of all desktop publishing files including colour and image quality.
- Technical support and asset management including troubleshooting technical issues, file preparation in a variety of digital formats requested by various departments, archiving of digital assets and ensuring accessibility to files on our FTP sites.
- Sales and Editorial material preparation, including digital files, in-house output, and scheduling.
- A passionate children’s book designer with 7 to 15 years’ experience as a graphic designer for print with deep knowledge of the children’s publishing industry.
- Post-secondary education in design and print production.
- Demonstrated skill and efficiency with creative book design and art direction for print in a Mac environment, including advanced knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat Pro, font and colour management profiles and systems, scanning techniques, colour proofing, knowledge of limitations and capabilities of offset and digital printing, prepress file preparation and preflight.
- Proficiency in Office applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task and manage constantly shifting priorities; good communication and project management skills.
- A creative and innovative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate a proven track record of creating compelling designs by providing a PDF sample of
- your book design work.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada