Supervisor, National Online Breaking News - News Digital
National Online Journalist, Breaking News Supervisor
Division: News online
Work Status: Temporary contract
Location: Toronto, Ontario
About the Role:
Reporting to the Managing Editor, Breaking News, you will be responsible for creating and coordinating national and international stories for Globalnews.ca and various sections and sub-sites across Canada. You will be expected to plan and produce compelling web and multi-platform content, including text-based articles, video and interactive online features while supervising the work of the daily news team.
You will also be expected to assist Globalnews.ca in reaching traffic goals, increasing user engagement and building relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including web developers and programmers, digital project management teams and usability experts. The position will be based in Toronto, Ontario.
- Planning, assigning, supervising, and helping in the creation of compelling and original multi-media web stories, including breaking news, long-form written features, photo- and video-based features as well as interactive features.
- Assisting the managing editor assign work to the national online daily news team
- Making complicated stories relevant to wider audiences.
- Developing and maintaining sources to aid in creating original and investigative stories.
- Repurpose wire copy (CP and otherwise) for search engine optimization.
- Engage audiences through various social media platforms.
- Liaising with various digital and broadcast teams, including web producers, news directors, producers, assignment editors, anchors, reporters and other news professionals, as well as third-party content providers, to facilitate the creation of unique online content.
- Liaising with digital project managers, online production artists, web developers and web designers to deliver timely site developments and special projects.
- Working to explore new methods of converging online and TV content to create a seamless experience for our audience.
- Utilizing specific online tools: content management system (WordPress), photo database (CP, Getty) wire news service interface (AP ENPS), liveblogging tools
- Staying informed of local, national and international news.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
- Five years experience in developing online content.
- Five years experience in managing and delivering multiple projects on time and on budget.
- Excellent writing, copy editing and substantive editing skills.
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress CMS.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos.
- A strong social media presence is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian Press style
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with several internal and external stakeholders on various projects.
- Experience working in broadcast news, and in a digital newsroom environment, is an asset.
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news — everything from international events to politics, pop culture, sports — as well as a keen interest in technology and digital media. Experience in writing and reporting on personal finance, business and consumer issues an asset.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Passion for online journalism and storytelling. You wake up in the middle of the night with good ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PG-Programming
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada