Social Media Coordinator (BC)
News & Information
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Vancouver. This is a Unionized position with Global BC
This role closes for applications on April 4, 2021
Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment, has an exciting opportunity for a Social Media Coordinator to join its award-winning news team. This position is based in Vancouver.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, Digital, the successful candidate will participate in social strategies for our Global News social media accounts and optimize them with our best content. The successful candidate will be required to work primarily weekdays, with weekend and evening work as required by our dynamic news environment. If you have a positive attitude and a passion for social media, then the most innovative news organization in Canada wants to hear from you!
About the Role:
You will execute best-in-class, data-driven social media strategies for our Global News social media accounts. Immersed in all things news, you are on the pulse of what’s trending locally, provincially, nationally and abroad. You’re familiar with the stories that will resonate with our audience and have the skills to spark conversations on the social media platforms we participate in. You have a passion for media, radio, content and social, and enjoy creating, building and being part of a dynamic team and industry. You will work closely with our online, radio and broadcast teams on developing stand-out social content to attract audiences to a news brand they can trust.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Collaborate with a team of online managing editors, online journalists, online video producers, and broadcast/radio news leaders to promote the top stories of the day on our social media accounts.
- Ensure our social media content reflects our online and editorial standards.
- Schedule and publish cutting-edge content (photo, video and copy).
- Monitor real-time social media platform performance and work with online staff to optimize content.
- Moderate our social media accounts to ensure the conversations are constructive.
- Communicate, teach, track and model Global News’ best practices in social media to newsrooms.
- Collaborate on social research and competitive analysis to identify and track fluctuating social trends – what’s working and not working to evolve our social media policy as required. Leverage data to inform and optimize content creation.
- Track daily, weekly and monthly performance goals and provide trend analysis to various stakeholders. Keep abreast of evolving industry trends and developments.
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Experience in a newsroom environment or related field.
- An understanding and experience with social media platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively to tight deadlines in a complex team environment.
- An amazing attitude that will engage and motivate teams by living into the Corus values to Win Together, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day, Think Beyond and Show We Care.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Vancouver, BC, Canada