Chief Financial Officer
Who we Are
Fresh Prep is Vancouver’s homegrown meal kit delivery service. We help people throughout B.C. make world-class dinners with fresh, pre-cut and pre-portioned ingredients along with an extended menu of over 100 add-ons from local suppliers delivered weekly to your door.
From sourcing quality local goods, to delivering in reusable, recyclable and compostable packaging, we believe it’s possible to make convenient eating healthy and sustainable for the community we live in. In February 2021, we announced the launch of the industry’s first ever zero waste kit!
In the past few years, we have collected first place awards for The Georgia Straight’s Golden Plates (2019 and 2020) in addition to winning the 23rd and 24th Annual Best of Vancouver award for Best Meal Kit Service as voted by readers (2018 and 2019). Fresh Prep also placed on the Canadian Business and Maclean’s Magazine STARTUP LIST 2020 as a high-growth Canadian startup.
Who You Are
- A Critical Thinker. Your hypotheses are based in facts and data to gain insight, solve problems and create opportunities.
- Data Driven. You actively seek out data to generate effective and efficient solutions, evaluate options accurately, and establish priorities.
- An Inspirational Leader. You are capable and driven to create an environment where others are set up for success.
- Collaborative Team Player. You are an effective communicator who is motivated by collaborative team task achievement and driving a results-oriented culture. You love sharing your expertise as well as learning from others.
What You'll Be Doing
- Cash Flow analysis to assist in financing decisions, as well as primary responsibility for cash management.
- Create systems and processes that enhance financial rigor, enable more thinking and less data manipulation.
- Develop budgets for the Company, and ensure the Company stays within budget both for operating expenses and capital projects.
- Develop internal financial reporting and commentary that provides leadership with timely insights into trends, operational results, and growth drivers.
- Ensure legal compliance on all financial functions
- Establish cost-of-goods and tracking of expenses to inform new product pricing
- General administrative responsibilities including tasks in regulatory compliance, payroll, human resources, record keeping, strategic planning, time keeping and more.
- Lead the processes related to operational metric review across different levels of the business
- Maintain Good Accounting Practices within operations and IFRS compliant financial reporting
- Manage cross-functional business initiatives and build project execution excellence within the team.
- Manage relationships with banks
- Provide modeling and analytical support for strategic growth projects, new product development, long-term contracts, and other business initiatives.
- Support in securing financing, including debt, project finance and venture capital for continued scaling and growth of the Company.
- Support creation of a compelling pitch-deck and associated financial modeling and projections
- Support operations in key decisions to reduce costs of production and inform analysis of operating costs in technology considerations.
- Work with the Founders to design financing strategy for multi-year objectives.
What We Are Looking For
This is a unique role that will be instrumental in building the ship that will take us to our next phase of growth as we embark on an exciting expansion journey. Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be managing all financial elements of the business including P&L, balance sheets, taxes, and cost accounting in operations and budgets. You will be collaborating across teams to track cost of operations, set budgets, and direct financing strategies. We are looking for someone who is highly skilled in strategic financial planning, and creating and maintaining efficient administrative systems. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in a senior finance role and a degree in accounting, finance, or business.
- 12+ years in accounting and/or finance
- Experience working in SaaS, manufacturing goods and logistics accounting
- Fluency in QuickBooks and other accounting software
- Degree in Accounting/Finance/Business with CPA accreditation
- Experience securing debt and developing a multi-tiered finance strategy for growth
- Preparation of financial statements for audit, taxes and annual reporting.
- Superior organizational skills with experience in establishing administrative systems.
- Experience in a high-growth startup environment.
- Experience with venture capital and equity investments as well as public markets preferred
- Experience handling federal grants including SRED, and compliance with government finance and accounting practices.
- Experience in companies with revenue over $50M
What You Can Expect
- An inclusive, fun workplace filled with fantastic colleagues. We’re a certified B-Corporation and our team is passionate about making a positive difference (and also about food!)
- The ability to work from home or from our HQ located in beautiful East Vancouver
- Competitive pay and bonuses, as well as the opportunity to participate in our Employee Stock Option Plan.
- Comprehensive executive health benefits (including medical, dental, vision and life-insurance)
- Free food! A Fresh Prep meal plan for 2 meals per week and sample meals from our test kitchen at our HQ!
Fresh Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and prohibits discrimination of any kind. We value diversity at our company and at all job levels our goal is to be diverse, inclusive and representative of the communities we operate in. We endeavour to recruit, develop and retain the best talent from a diverse candidate pool and truly believe that diversity, equity and inclusion among our team members is vital to our success as a company. We trust that in applying for a role with us you value this as well!
- Pay Type Salary
- Vancouver, BC, Canada