Canada Summer Jobs - FT Community Development Worker (London)
Full Time Community Development Worker, Temporary Contract (10 weeks)
Woodfield Gate - London, ON
Closing Date for Applicants: May 14, 2021
Contract Dates: June through August 2021
Candidates must be between the ages of 18-30
Our Mission: Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
Position Description: The Community Development Worker will assist with community building among tenants and fostering the development of a cultural hub at our community supportive housing site in London.
Location: 356 Dundas St, London, ON
Hours of Work: Full time, 35 hours per week. Flexibility is required to meet program needs, including evening and weekend hours. This position is a temporary contract, ending after 10 weeks.
Duties for this position include:
- Responsible for the overall day-to-day community organizing, networking and supporting tenant mobilization to community events within the building and in the community.
- To create, support and facilitate tenant committees and clubs (i.e. Food Security, Safety, Mental Health support, recreation) able to enhance Indwell’s organizational values of hope, love and dignity, in order to generate healthy community neighborly dynamics at Woodfield Gate.
- Build positive working relationships with tenants, visitors, neighbours, and volunteers and identify gaps and opportunities for innovation, creative problem solving, community development, as well as the generation of storytelling, arts and culture.
- Reach out to active community groups and establish ongoing community relationships for supporting our tenants in the areas of food security, skill-building & employment opportunities, cultural production, therapeutics & healing, physical activity and wellness, health, etc.
- Work in a leadership capacity with other tenants and team members to implement special projects, grants and initiatives, as well as, track and report on project outcomes.
- Attend staff meetings and work as a team with all staff.
- Perform all other duties assigned.
Requirements: The successful candidate should demonstrate a warm, sensitive, and caring approach, the ability to work independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative. Must have strong problem-solving skills, be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships and have a genuine interest in supporting people living with mental illness. A knowledge of local community resources and support systems and is beneficial.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (or in progress), and experience with community engagement and working with vulnerable people.
Remuneration: $14.25/hr; hours and position length subject to approval of Service Canada – Canada Summer Jobs.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 356 Dundas St, London, ON N6B 1V7, Canada