Temporary Certified Teacher, Early Childhood Services (ECS)
Pacekids Programs is a charitable organization that strives to empower children with special needs and their families through excellence in therapy and education. From as young as six months of age, Pacekids is there to support children with special needs and their families in the home, in the community and in the classroom. Pacekids offers a dynamic, active environment, specializing in therapeutic learning, supporting each child's unique developmental and physical needs.
If you are passionate about helping children with special needs and their families thrive, then Pacekids Programs is the organization for you!
Pacekids offers the challenge and reward of working in an integrated, child and family focused environment – a setting that recognizes and appreciates your contribution and gives you the deep satisfaction of making a real difference.
Pacekids is looking to hire a temporary, full-time (37.5 hours/week) Certified Teacher to work in Pacekids’ south (23 Sunpark Drive SE) Early Childhood Services (ECS) program. The Certified Teacher will work on weekdays from 8:30am to 4:00pm, with hours outside of a regular workday occasionally required. This is a temporary position commencing as soon as possible and ending June 30, 2021.
The Certified Teacher is responsible for the delivery of direct classroom programming to their designated classroom in both our morning Multidisciplinary Program and our afternoon Speech and Language Enhancement Program. The Certified Teacher oversees the educational programming and Individual Program Plan development of approximately 20-30 children. This position works closely with other Certified Teachers, Preschool Teachers, Therapists, and Classroom Therapy Aides (CTAs) to plan and implement creative, developmentally appropriate programming that meets the unique needs of the children in their classrooms. The Certified Teacher manages a team of 10-12 CTAs and is supervised by the ECS Manager.
As a key member of the Early Childhood Services (ECS) interdisciplinary team, the Certified Teacher exemplifies Pacekids’ values of collaboration, learning, respect, integrity, and accountability, and plays an integral role in fostering a team that shares the Pacekids’ vision and mission. Diplomacy, tact, discretion, and conflict resolution skills are necessary as this position has access to highly sensitive and confidential information. The impact of decisions made by this position will affect the ECS program, including staff, children, and families.
Include but are not limited to:
- Plan, prepare, and implement the daily theme-based lesson plans for the classroom (including Circle Time, Craft Time, Story Time, and Play Centres)
- Support planning and coordination of monthly field trips and community outings
- Follow the Alberta Learning Curriculum for the Kindergarten children
- Develop and update Individual Program Plan (IPP) goals, and ensure that they are carried out appropriately and effectively by members of the classroom team (i.e. CTAs)
- Make referrals to appropriate therapists for classroom consultation and follow through with therapists’ recommendations and strategies
- Collect data for the preparation of reports and IPP reviews
- Track daily attendance and provide daily updates to families via parent communication system
- Report on children’s progress with educational goals and classroom participation in year-end reports as well as participate in parent-teacher interviews twice per year
- Consult and connect with management, therapy teams, and classroom teams to review, brainstorm, and implement strategies and ideas
- Attend team theme-planning meetings and case conferences
- Assist with self-help skills where needed, including toileting and diapering children
- Facilitate Grade 1 transition planning for Kindergarten children and their families
- Ensure that classroom practices meet the Accreditation, Alberta Education, and Health & Safety standards
- Provide classroom leadership and coaching to ensure team cohesiveness
- Supervise classroom CTAs, including providing yearly evaluations, approving payroll, and engaging in disciplinary reviews if required
- Provide mentorship to Preschool Teachers and CTAs
- Develop and facilitate staff training and education sessions on Professional Development days
What You Bring
Core competencies and qualifications:
- Valid Alberta Teaching Certificate from Alberta Learning or those whose credentials have been recognized or are in the process of being recognized by a Canadian Provincial Department of Education
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of special education and works comfortably with early learners from ages 2 ½ to 6 years
- Current Alberta driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills to work effectively with students, families, and staff
- Strong communication, leadership, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team, as well as an ability to take initiative and work independently
- Tact, discretion, and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-Level C certification; can be obtained upon hire within a designated time frame
- Clearance from a Criminal Record check, including a Vulnerable Sector check, current within the last six months; can be obtained upon hire within a designated time frame
- Clearance from a Child Intervention Record Check, current within the last year; can be obtained upon hire within a designated time frame
What We Offer
We are proud to offer a package that aligns with our values:
- A fun, supportive and energetic team
- An environment that encourages feedback and growth
- A competitive compensation package that includes employer paid extended health care, generous vacation, sick and personal time entitlements
- A genuine understanding of work and life demands, offering options to help balance personal and work life
- Support for professional development including extensive in-house learning and development programs and PD funds for certain positions
- The opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the lives of hundreds of children and families
Pacekids Programs is an equal opportunity employer. We appreciate a diverse workforce and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the grounds of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, source of income, or sexual orientation.
If you require accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the hiring process, please direct your inquiries to Pacekids’ Human Resources team at email@example.com.
- Pay Type Salary