Probationary Firefighter - CLOSES: Sunday February 7, 2021
235 Burwell Rd, St Thomas, ON N5P 4L1, Canada ● 305 Wellington Street, 305 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Req #333
Monday, January 25, 2021
About the City of St. Thomas Fire Department:
The City of St. Thomas Fire Department is comprised of 58 full-time staff operating out of two fire stations. The Department consists of five divisions: Administration, Training, Fire Prevention/Public Safety Education, Communications and Operations. Each operational platoon consists of a Platoon Chief, two Captains, nine Firefighters and a Radio Telecommunications Operator. The Department is also responsible for Municipal Emergency Preparedness.
A career with the St. Thomas Fire Department is both challenging and rewarding. It requires a very high level of dedicated service to the community and a willingness to always help others. This position will also require that you respond to all emergencies when called upon. Specifically, you will respond to the following: all hazards and rescues, fire emergencies, medical emergencies to provide emergency patient care and assistance, motor vehicle emergencies to provide scene, vehicle and patient stabilization, other specialized emergencies and calls for public assistance. In addition, you will be required to assist and provide public safety education, fire inspections, develop pre-fire emergency plans, fulfill the role of radio telephone operator when required, engage in training activities on a regular basis and maintain fire apparatus, equipment, and stations.
Once hired, the position is probationary for a period of six (6) months from the start date. Candidates must be physically fit and able to handle the sustained, intense physical effort that is often required of a firefighter.
Firefighters are expected to maintain all required competencies, certifications, skill levels and a high level of professionalism. They are required to: be self-motivated, quickly solve problems, work as part of a dynamic team, and follow written and verbal instructions.
Please find the full Job Description at www.stthomas.ca under Employment - Probationary Firefighter – Probationary Firefighter Job Description.
Hours of Work:
This position currently works ten and fourteen hour shifts, and averages forty-two (42) hours of work per week over a four week period. Please note: The St. Thomas Fire Department will be implementing a twenty-four (24) hour shift schedule in co-operation with the St. Thomas Professional Firefighters Association in the near future.
This full-time position has a starting rate of $59,508 per annum (July 2019 rate), plus benefits as per the current Collective Agreement.
In order to be considered for a career as a St. Thomas Probationary Firefighter, you must meet the following minimum requirements at time of application (unless specified otherwise):
• 18 years of age or older
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
• An Ontario secondary school diploma (Grade 12) or equivalent
• NFPA 1001; Firefighter Level 1 and 2 Certification
• Applicants must have successfully completed all stages of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services program (OFAI CTS) by time of hire and be prepared to submit all related certificates. NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, if successful candidate does not have a current/valid swim test at time of hire, as a condition of employment, they will be required to attain the OFAI CTS Swim Test certificate within the probationary period, provided the swim test is being offered. Certificates will be validated with OFAI.
• Valid current Standard First Aid certificate and a valid CPR for Health Care Providers (Level HCP) certificate. Note: Due to COVID-19 Pandemic, those with certifications expired since March 1, 2020 will still be considered.
• Minimum valid Class "DZ" driver's license with a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
• Ability to work on rotating shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays
• Ability to understand and communicate clearly in English, both oral and written, and in stressful situations
• Ability to cope in high stress situations
• Ability to work as a team member
• Ability to obtain and provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record search
• Professional and/or Volunteer Firefighting Experience
• Completion of related NFPA Courses
• Emergency Experience (i.e. Paramedic, Emergency Nursing, etc.)
• University Degree or College Diploma; College Certificate
• Trade Apprenticeship or Certification (i.e. Electrician, Plumber, Mechanic, Construction, etc.)
• Demonstrated community service and/or volunteer involvement
• Other relevant specialized training, qualifications or experience
Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (OFAI) Information:
Applicants must have successfully completed all stages of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services program (OFAI CTS) by time of hire and be prepared to submit all related certificates. NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, if successful candidate does not have a current/valid swim test at time of hire, as a condition of employment, they will be required to attain the OFAI CTS Swim Test certificate within the probationary period, provided the swim test is being offered. Certificates will be validated with OFAI. Please visit www.ofai.ca for more information.
Selected applicants will be required to submit to an assessment process that will include interviews, references and may include other additional testing.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a recent original satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check as a condition of employment.
Because of the responsibilities for this position, applicants must have a valid Ontario Class D License with a Z Endorsement, or an equivalent license from another province at time of application. Production of a satisfactory driver’s abstract will be part of the recruitment process.
• Prior to starting your application, please visit the City of St. Thomas Employment Page at www.stthomas.ca and carefully read the Job Description, Job Posting and Frequently Asked Questions.
• When applying, if you need to create a Dayforce login, please ensure you also APPLY to the position and upload all applicable documentation. When your application has been received through Dayforce, you will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Applications and all required documentation will only be accepted on-line through www.stthomas.ca, Employment Opportunities. The City of St. Thomas will not accept applications delivered in person, by mail or fax.
• Applicants may be required to present original documents during the selection/hiring process.
• Applicants are responsible for all costs (i.e.: certificates, testing, travel, etc.) throughout the recruitment process.
• Please be advised that the City of St. Thomas uses both email and phone to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include a current phone number as well as current email address. This e-mail address should be checked regularly and should accept emails from unknown users. It is imperative that applicants check their email and voicemail regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the job competition and your application will be removed. Please ensure you provide an accurate email and you check your junk folder to ensure you do not miss any email communications.
How to Apply:
Go to www.stthomas.ca – Employment, Employment Opportunities.
Go to Posting Title: Probationary Firefighter
You will need to create a Dayforce Login (if you do not have one already).
Once you have successfully logged in, click the ‘Apply Now’ button.
IMPORT and UPLOAD your RESUME and COVER LETTER individually (i.e. pdf, word).
*In addition to your RESUME and COVER LETTER, please ensure you UPLOAD the following documents with your application:
• NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level 1 & 2
• OFAI CTS Certificates; including Swim Test
• Standard First Aid and CPR Level HCP certificate
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12) or equivalent
• University/College Degree, Diploma or Certificate
• NFPA Certificates
• Other applicable certifications
Note: You will be required to answer Qualification questions during the application process.
Prior to clicking the “SUBMIT” button on your application, ENSURE ALL documents have been properly UPLOADED. You may click the previous button to verify what you are submitting.
When your application has been successfully received through Dayforce, you will receive an email from email@example.com confirming receipt of your application.
Applications must be received no later than Sunday February 7, 2021.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. By submitting your application, you are authorizing the City of St. Thomas to contact OFAI to verify your qualifications.
Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. The City of St. Thomas is an equal opportunity employer.
- Pay Type Hourly
This posting is inactive.
- 235 Burwell Rd, St Thomas, ON N5P 4L1, Canada
- 305 Wellington Street, 305 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada