Environmental Health - Graduate Public Health Inspector x 2
Windsor, ON, Canada Req #40
Tuesday, January 26, 2021
Grid level 6
Grid level 6
Reporting to the Managers of the Environmental Health Department, the Graduate Public Health Inspector applies preventive and public health knowledge, techniques, and skills to reduce the incidence of communicable diseases, occupational illnesses, food-borne disease, and health hazards in the public in accordance with Ministry of Health Ontario Public Health Standards, associated Ministry Protocols and Guidelines, the Health Protection and Promotion Act and its Regulations, and any other pertinent legislation. The inspector: conducts public health inspections; promotes public health principles; and works with government and stakeholders to support healthy policies and environments that support health. This position supports the ongoing operations of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.
• Initiates the development, implementation and maintenance of operational procedures, information systems, administrative documentation and record control for health inspection programs.
• Identifies, assesses and investigate health hazards in residential, commercial, recreational, social and industrial premises ranging from chemicals and toxins, waste disposal, indoor air quality, food preparation, pests and vermin, waterborne pollutants, soil contamination and communicable and non-communicable disease related to food borne and/or improper hygiene. Carries out on-site investigations to determine the nature and extent of the violation.
• Conducts on-site assessment and inspections of food premises, public institutions (i.e. day nurseries, nursing homes, funeral homes, schools, group homes) recreation facilities (i.e. swimming pools, wading pools, spas and splash pads) and other public premises (i.e. personal service settings, banquet halls) on a regular basis to ensure the facilities are maintained and operations are being carried out in accordance with all applicable legislation and established preventative health practices.
• Educate clients on the requirements for their premises and works with them to attain and maintain the required standards. Identifies hazards, interprets the legislation requirements and develops a course of action with the client. In consultation with the client, establishes priorities in order to achieve compliance, monitors progress and provides additional assistance as necessary
• At the direction of management, prepares and writes orders which give direction outlining the nature of the violation and defining all actions to be undertaken by persons in contravention of established health standards. Gathers, complete and process all legal documentation (reports) in accordance with recognized standards. Attends court or Health Protection Appeal Board as a witness as necessary. At the direction of management, supports the issuance of Provincial Offence notices and summonses.
• Assists with response to outbreaks, as needed
• Collects samples and specimens and forwards to a laboratory for analysis. Provides interpretation of laboratory results and initiates further action if necessary.
• Investigate animal to human contact (bites/scratch) complaints. Ensure animal owners are in compliance with the Rabies Regulation. Completes the appropriate follow-up with clients and ensures the confinement /isolation of the animal. Completes laboratory submission forms for rabies testing and arranges for the submission of the animal head samples to the laboratory for testing, should it be warranted, in order to determine if the animal was rabid. Provides consultation and support to physicians in regards to rabies prophylaxis and delivers vaccine to physicians. Provides education to the public in regard to rabies awareness and works collaboratively with Animal Services (Humane Society, dog pounds etc.)
• Develops and implements environmental health programs, interventions and procedures to reduce targeted health hazards.
• Conduct special studies, special surveys and analysis findings, and prepare reports for manager outlining recommended changes. Maintains current level of knowledge in technical information related to environmental health by attending educational conferences.
• Participates on committees and work groups, as required by management.
• Collects and/or coordinate the collection and packaging of samples (e.g. asbestos, food stuffs, water samples, etc.) for laboratory analysis, interpret results and takes appropriate action. Maintain familiarity with related equipment, assessment tools, and changing techniques. Interpret results and provides feedback to clients.
• Liaises with the community to provide information on environmental health issues. Responds to enquires from the public on all environmental health issues. (e.g. water quality, mould, food safety, rabies, sanitizing etc.)
• Review the accuracy and ensures the timely submission of all inspection reports and daily activity sheets.
Education, training, & experience
• Must be pursuing a Certificate in Public Health Inspection (Canada);
• Ongoing CIPHI(C) membership in good standing is a requirement
• Bachelor of Applied Science in Environmental Health or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Knowledge of Ontario Public Health Standards
• Proficiency with current computer applications (Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher; Internet; email)
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team
• Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize workloads
• A valid Ontario Driver’s Licence, access to a reliable motor vehicle during working hours, as well as 1 million dollars in liability insurance.
• Satisfactory police information search
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
- Pay Type Salary
This posting is inactive.
- Windsor, ON, Canada